Wednesday, November 7, 2012

And the Winner Is...

Yesterday was a big day for Americans. Although I felt many different emotions throughout the weeks and months leading to the election, mainly anticipation for the day when NO more political ads would be on TV or in my mailbox. Yesterday, I was anxious. I hated feeling that way, but I did. In the midst of my anxiety, I kept remembering the Scripture in Philippians (4:6) "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, WITH THANKSGIVING, present your requests to God.".
God knew my prayers before I ever uttered a word to him. He knew what the outcome of the election would be. He knows what his plans are...we do not. I am THANKFUL and can rest in that. It actually makes me really happy to know that its all in his hands!

I know that United States elections are not life and death. Nowhere close. I know that God is not a Republican, or a Democrat, or even an Independent. He is God. The king and ruler of all, and his plans are underway no matter who holds a seat in the American government. I consider it a privilege to live in a country where I can literally spend my life sharing the love of Christ with people around me. I know that it is not the government's job to feed the hungry, or give clothes to those with none. The government does not provide love to those who don't know love, or hope to those who have no hope.

 "If you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your light will become like the noonday." Isaiah 58:10

Basically, it makes no difference who wins an election. Our focus should not be on the circumstances, but on the people. Find people who are in need, and fill those needs. I want to take the focus off of myself and redirect, or reset, if you will, my focus towards the needs of others. In our American culture, we are so "me" driven. Even in the church. "What's in it for ME?", "How can I benefit from this?". If there is no personal gain or reward, or its not convenient, we don't do it. What would happen in we stopped that and asked "What can I do for YOU?" "Where/Whom can I SERVE today?". If there is one place you can be sure Jesus was when he was here on earth, it was with the people. He wasn't cooped up in a Synagogue or church building all week. He wouldn't have just been in church meetings on Sunday and Wednesday, then silent the rest of the week. He was out and about. Filling needs, serving the people, bringing healing and freedom over the broken and oppressed, making disciples along the way.

(Picture is of us with a mother in LA who was a former prostitute with all 10 of her children in the foster care system. Because of the LA Dream Center's help, she no longer has to turn tricks to buy food and clothes, she is engaged, has 7 of her children living with her, and...she is in love with Jesus!)

So, whether you are overjoyed with excitement that your guy was reelected, or you are disappointed that your guy lost... LIFE GOES ON. With THANKSGIVING, lets move forward. With the attitude of the followers of Jesus that we are to be, lets find ways to serve those around us. How can we fill the needs of the people around us? Who can I love today, or give an encouraging word to? Who is broken, oppressed, hurting, hungry, cold, alone...? Find a need, fill a need. Bring life. Bring hope. Bring healing. BE LOVE.

....WITH THANKSGIVING!

No comments:

Post a Comment